Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

the body shop cocoa butter moisturizing stick

One of my sisters-in-law gave this to me for Christmas with nothing but great things to say about how it prevented her from getting stretch marks until her final month of pregnancy.  I had read enough pregnancy-related books to learn that there's really no miracle product that will fully prevent stretch marks from forming (come on, people - it's a baby - how can there be no stretch marks?!), but since I had this tube in my hot little hands, I decided to give it a try anyway.  

The moisturizing stick comes in a deodorant-like twist-up container.  It's got a creamy white colour and has that very identifiable cocoa butter scent.  Also similar to deodorant, it left whitish stains on the black lounge pants that I've taken to sleeping in.  According to the Body Shop website, the product contains Community Trade cocoa butter, which is an excellent moisturizer that melts at body temperature, is rich in essential fatty acids and antioxidants, and is recommended especially for dry skin and pregnant women. 

For almost every night for 2.5 months, I dutifully applied this to my stomach area at night before going to bed.  Even though I'm not crazy about the smell of cocoa butter, I didn't mind the scent - probably because the product was kept well away from my nose and shielded by my clothing.  I wasn't convinced on the product's ability to "melt at body temperature", as it didn't apply smoothly.  Plus, this product goes on colourless and is pretty lightweight, which made it hard to gage how much I had put on or if I had missed any spots.  It did feel moisturizing when applied, although any such effects seem to disappear by morning.

Verdict: Now in month 7, I most definitely have stretch marks on my stomach (surprise).  Sorry ladies - no miracles here.  I'm going to have to take a pass on purchasing this one~75g, C$16


No comments:

Post a Comment