Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2013

pencil me in eyeliner

This is my very first review for a product received through my Beauty Box 5 subscription.  This pencil was part of my January BB5 box.  

First impressions: I loved that the pencil had a built-in sharpener.  The standard-sized sharpener works well for other pencils as well (I’ve used it with my Cover Girl gel eyeliner).  The colour I received was lapis, which is a navy blue colour.  My current collection of cosmetics didn’t include a liner in this colour so I was happy to give this one a try.

As with most other pencil eyeliners, I prefer not start with a sharp point as (i) it requires a lot more precision to apply the product on my lashline, and (ii) doing so greatly increases the risk of poking myself when applying (I am no eyeliner expert – lack of control during application is one of the reasons I have shied away from liquid liners).  The colour applied smoothly without any tugging, and the colour was true to both the swatch below and to how the product itself looked.

This is where all my positive comments end.

Wow, did this product ever smudge!  I applied the liner to my upper lash line only, but within 10 minutes of application, the colour had spread to my lower lash line as well…and not in that flattering, smoldering way, but in a messy, I-look-like-I-just-had-a-good-cry way.  I was not about to leave the house with navy blue raccoon eyes, so I took off all traces (or so I thought) of the colour with eye makeup remover and went sans eye makeup instead.  Imagine my dismay the next morning when I woke up, looked in the mirror, and saw little navy blue (albeit in a lighter shade) crescent-moon shapes under my eyes.  The liner has staying power, I’ll give it that, but the fact that it took two rounds of eye makeup remover to completely take off the product made it very unappealing. 

Verdict: I hate wasting beauty products, but the pencil (I’m keeping the sharpener) will have to be retired (i.e., tossed) as part of my March finished goods.  I will definitely not be purchasing this one again.  ~US$6.99


No comments:

Post a Comment