Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

plain ol' liquid soap

Plain Ol’ Skincare is owned by one of my husband’s coworkers, who runs this small-batch skincare business on the side. The business has a nice background story – the founder moved to Calgary several years back, was forced to load up on moisturizers and other skincare products to deal with the dry conditions in this area, was appalled at the list of unidentifiable ingredients in those products and eventually decided to make her own. My husband brought home 2 bottles of the liquid soap to try and his coworker threw in a sample of lotion (which I have not used yet).

Plain Ol’ products are fragrance, colour and dye-free, and the liquid soap is no different. It has a slightly yellow tinge (likely from the glycerine content) and is on the runny side. The ingredients listed include water, olive oil, canola oil, coconut oil, potassium hydroxide, vegetable glycerine and castor oil. The all-natural goodness of this product makes it different from your traditional liquid soap in a couple ways:
  • No fragrance whatsoever, except for a tinge of glycerine that takes some getting used to.
  • No bubbles or other foaming action, even when used with a bath sponge or mesh. I found that this made it a bit difficult to gauge exactly how much to use.
I’ve been using this daily for over a week now and have gotten used to the scent (or lack thereof) and consistency. I haven’t seen any significant changes in my skin. Even if there was an increase in the moisture content, I am more likely to chalk it up to the fact that I’ve been moisturizing like crazy (to use up the Cake and Body Shop moisturizers). 

Verdict: I like the idea of using all-natural products and love the idea of supporting the fledgling, startup businesses. However, the girly side of me still wants a bit of scent and some foaming action, so I will not be purchasing this again. ~500ml bottle, C$6

*The ink on the label of my liquid soap started to run and blur, so I have borrowed a photo from Plain Ol's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment